With a strong trade market and a high per capita income, Canada is one of the richest nations in the world. The goal of the Canada Start-Up Visa Program is to grant permanent residency to business owners and active investors in startups and growing enterprises that want to establish a foothold in Canada.
Benefits of residence by investment in Canada
- High standard of living
- Affordable, high-quality education and healthcare
- Family included in the application
- Multicultural, tolerant, and vibrant cities
- Excellent place to do business, with access to the entire North American market
- Minimal application requirements, with no age restriction, no net worth, and no higher education needed
Requirements of the Canada Start-Up Visa Program
To obtain permanent residence in Canada, foreign entrepreneurs must propose an innovative, scaling start-up business, approved by a designated organization.
Choose one of following options:
- Business incubation: No minimum investment required
- Angel investment: Raise CAD 75,000 from an angel investment group, depending on a certain stage of the business
- Venture capital fund: Raise CAD 200,000 from a venture capital fund, depending on a certain stage of the business
The optional consulting, government fees, business structure, document processing, and immigration filing come with extra costs for all three options.
Investors are also required to:
- Have English or French language proficiency at the CLB/IELTS 5 level
- Be in good health
- Have no criminal record
Procedures and duration for investment-based permanent residency in Canada
It is necessary for clients to draft and submit a business proposal, which must be accepted by an official government business entity.
Upon approval by a venture capital fund, angel investment group, or business incubator, contingent on the investment option selected, the client is issued a letter of support that enables them to apply for permanent residence with their family.
Physical presence in Canada for two of the five years (or 730 days) is necessary to retain permanent resident status.
The process takes 12 to 31 months.
Obtaining citizenship in Canada after participating in the Start-Up Visa Program
Successful applicants may apply for citizenship after three years (or 1,095 days) of continuous permanent residence in Canada during a five-year period.
According to the Henley Passport Index, the Canadian passport is ranked among the top ten, granting holders access to over 180 international locations without the need for a visa.